4.26.2008

All About Brushes

What Will Be Discussed:
  • How to make a custom brush in The Gimp
  • How to convert PhotoShop brushes into brushes for The Gimp
Custom Brush:

1) Start by clicking File->New
2) Then click on Advanced Options

3) Then create the black and white image
*Now, at this point most tutorials would tell you to save, BUT I learned [the hard way] that when you save at this point, the white spaces do not become transparent as is claimed in many tutorials when you save it as a .gbr file.
4) Select the "Select All Colors Tool", which looks like this:
5) Click on a white part of your image and hit the "Delete" button.
6) NOW save the image as a .xcf file if you would like to work on it some more in the future and also save it as a .gbr file to the brushes folder.
Where is the brushes folder?! I searched for it using the search tool on my computer [the one located in the START menu]. I found it here: C:\Users\Put your username here\.gimp-2.4\brushes

**Tips:
-It's okay to make the brush much bigger than you need it to be because it won't become distorted when you shrink it, but a smaller brush will become distorted when you make it larger.

Converting PS brushes into GIMP brushes:

This site seems to have a really good tutorial. I couldn't figure it out on my own so I don't feel that it would be right to post a tutorial about it as if I did. I just wish the grammar on that page was better. *grumbles*

No comments: